GTO 3987 on Mulholland

GTO 3987 on Mulholland

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Ray D. Shosay's Journal: Dispatches from a (junior) suite in Paris


Ray D. Shosay is a Hollywood screenwriter who is living--or hiding out--in the Hôtel Georges V in Paris where he intersects with characters of all sorts and opines on the issues of our time. His journal provides a window on his privileged and eccentric world. I think of Ray as an oblivious savant.
 
Ray D. Shosay, if said quickly, rhythms with "rez-de-chaussée" which means ground floor in French.  In addition to serving as a useful carnet d'adresses for those visiting Paris, Ray's journal offers commentary on movies, language trends, politics and anything else that comes to Mr. Shosay’s attention in a manner that would be familiar to fans of Terry Southern. The cover photo is by Jeanetta Dumouchel.


Here is an excerpt: 


Friday, January 26, 2007
The Kurds  

We have inherited Saddam's problems without having access to his solutions. I say let's gas the Kurds and be done with it.

Saturday, January 27, 2007
Note to agent

They say you can fool some of the people all of the time. Accordingly, I think we should concentrate on this group initially. We can move on to the people you can only fool some of the time at a later date if we deem it necessary. I hope to hear back from my agent about this as soon as he's out of rehab, as I don't think my messages have been getting through.
 

Wednesday, January 31, 2007
The Oscars

It's getting late and I can't sleep. I'm expected to communicate my decision on whether or not I shall be attending the Oscar ceremonies within the next few minutes as whatever I decide will have repercussions for people in a number of different time zones. My preference would be to send Sacheen Littlefeather though she would have to go as a seat warmer since I'm not nominated for anything going on that evening. I would go if I thought they might reprise "It's Hard Out Here for a Pimp" as Best Song. 

 

No comments: