GTO 3987 on Mulholland

GTO 3987 on Mulholland

Saturday, March 26, 2016

Maserati Quattroporte, Tipo 170, #012


Yesterday I was pleased to get a message from Gerhard Reinecke of the Maserati Quattroporte Tipo 107 website (http://tipo107.com/Maserati107/Welcome.html) which features a registry of that model. Gerhard had seen my blog post about my having owned a Quattroporte (http://emcpb.blogspot.com/2011/10/maserati-quattroporte.html) and was interested in having further information for the registry.

Sadly, I had not recorded and saved the serial number of the car and some very nice photos of the car when I owned it went missing when most of my personal possessions were 'lost at sea'. However, given that the Quattroporte was never a mass-produced item, supplying Gerhard with the car's specifications narrowed the field considerably. Here is what he discovered:

"Of this first series, 260 or 259 have been built. I have 3 white ones in the registry, of 150 registered cars, so I estimate about 5 to 8 produced in white in all, of which white with brown interior maybe 2 or three?
A very early one is at the Riverside museum, and it has your colour combination! (although restored, but probably to original spec) , see here: http://tipo107.com/Maserati107/107.001-298/Seiten/012.html
And it's a European car, as it has European gauges."


I bought the car from Robbie Crepaldi at the Crepaldi Ferrari dearlership in Milan in 1976 and sold it on in Los Angeles in 1977 or later. I loved the car and the sound of the Maserati V8 was very exotic coming from the rather sexy lines of the Frua-designed sedan.

Given the specifications and circumstances of the car at the Riverside museum, I have to assume it is my car. Interestingly, I had visited the Riverside International Automotive Museum in May of 2013 with Marc Sonnery (http://emcpb.blogspot.com/2013/05/riverside-international-automotive.html) and did not see #012 at that time--maybe it wasn't on display or came to the museum at a later date.


In any event, my thanks to Gerhard Reinecke and his passion for the Tipo 107 and for providing this moment of nostalgia about my involvement with a very interesting car.



No comments: