GTO 3987 on Mulholland

GTO 3987 on Mulholland

Thursday, April 29, 2010

Pursuant to Noblesse Oblige...


I am very pleased that the post I wrote about meeting Jim Glickenhaus and his family resonated with so many people. I thought these comments from another forum are worth noting and so I pass them along:

... ah..., great story, Stephen!

Stephen, your threads are simply beautiful. I still remember the Sinatra one. And written so simply, yet they make you feel the most noble feelings of all. Thank you :)

Wonderful observations. Whatever happened to people like that?!

Stephen, again, what a pleasure to read your musings. Hope Elysee Wednesday goes well tonight.

Stephen, I read this poem few years ago and I though of it again after I read your piece. I could not agree more with your observation, there are few friends in this category but worth while finding and keeping...

Nobility, Alice Cary True worth is in being, not seeming, In doing, each day that goes by, Some little good--not in dreaming Of great things to do by and by. For whatever men say in their blindness, And spite of the fancies of youth, There's nothing so kingly as kindness, And nothing so royal as truth.

Stephen, it is true. Noblesse oblige. That's why a lot af aristocrats have to go to work: to finance their generous lifestyle, LOL. As far as cars are concerned, a friend of mine in Paris (noblesse italienne), living in St. Germain, has a collection of more than 85 cars, including Bugatti, Ferrari Dino, Cadillac Fleetwood V16, Citroen Sandro Maserati, etc. (in the underground garage). But what i do really appreciate is the simple, but full and deep hospitality. You're not only a guest, but you are part of his life. Another close friend of mine has a castle on a lake in Italy, but he has to rent part of it for events, in order to make his living. Bur warm true hospitality is a unique sign of his noble origine. On the other hand we have decadence-noblesse like Lapo which is absolutely the contrary to the required etiquette of an aristocrat. Also a lot of parvenues are not able to match their lifestyle with education.

You either have it or not...you cant buy it or rent it or invent it.. i met a french aristocrat.. what the most I was impressed was is his manner in a ordinary restaurant.. where a true noble showed his manners.. I smiled silently...

You are a man of excellent taste, Stephen. And now I shall compliment myself on being part of your network. :-) Thank you.

Stephen, You caught my curiosity but my questions are left unanswered by your post: - Why are these people so interesting? - What are the actual qualities that the people you listed possess, that make them ladies and 'gentlemen of the first order'? - What happened during the evening that made it 'memorable'?

My reply: They were as interested as they were interesting. As you know, passion is contagious and to share it with others is quite a gift.. I think that making others feel valued and at ease is an art form that I appreciate above all other considerations. You might want to read about WJD Clarke to see how he manifested it:
http://emcpb.blogspot.com/2009/12/wilfred-wjd-clarke-of-bentleys-cricket.html

Being passionate and a gentleman are not always to be found in the same person.. but when both elements are there, you're up for a treat.. and collecting memories always pays off :) always interesting Stephen.. ciao

Hi Stephen, you are right,the real aristocracy is in the heart, not in clothes, cars or jewelery. it is not always obvious, because there are so many fake "posh" people nowadays. I´ve met a true aristocratic woman in Paris who invited me to her castle in Normandy. It was wonderful experience, she talked in the same way to the gardener, housekeeper, as to her own family. True nobility is in the way how people feel with you, she was able to make feel anyone comfortable, good and at ease. She always knew what to tell or do to make you feel better, even noble. She gave credit and respect to the people as they have been part of their family. she was really kind of a role model for me. Nevertheless, these people are quite rare, so we must really cherish the opportunity to know them.

My reply: I could not have said it better!

No comments: