GTO 3987 on Mulholland

GTO 3987 on Mulholland

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Gary Barnhill: Costa Concordia perspective


From Gary Barnhill:

I'm amazed at how often my airline check-pilot experience helps me understand current events.

My Example: The captain of the wrecked cruise liner held his job because no company "check-pilot" investigated his continual dangerous show-boating that led to the crash landing on rocks near the shore. The equivalent of tree-top buzzing in an airplane.

My Example: An airline has a minimum standard for all pilots. When pilots fail to meet that standard and are removed from the pilot seat the argument is usually; the standard is too high. (actually their union lawyer speaks in code: "the check-pilot was unfair") They argue, in code; the standard should be brought down to my lower level so I can keep the job.

Gary

No comments: