GTO 3987 on Mulholland

GTO 3987 on Mulholland

Sunday, December 7, 2014

Ferrari GTO on Mulholland Drive


This photo shows me in my GTO in the late 60s/early 70s taking a corner on Mulholland Drive at speed. It is actually a frame capture from a film I made with Peter Helm that begins with our excursion to Willow Springs Raceway and ends in the canyons of Los Angeles.

Though the resolution is poor, I love this image; it is more like an impressionist painting depicting the speed and excitement of owning and driving the car as it was intended--if not on a race track, at least with exuberance. Notice the attitude, or body English, of the GTO during its turn-in to the apex of the corner. I always thought that my Berlinetta Lusso cornered 'flat' through a turn, but the GTO showed me how 'flat' a race car could take the same corners. This goes to say that the speed with which I negotiated this corner had to be considerable for the GTO to show as much body roll as we see in the photo.

I can almost hear the sound of the amazing Ferrari twelve cylinder engine on full song and, though I cannot be seen clearly behind the wheel, I can assure you I was smiling.

2 comments:

Victor Varela said...

Always enjoy reading about your adventures in the GTO.

Barb Katz said...

A fantastic story, thank you dear Stephen.