GTO 3987 on Mulholland

GTO 3987 on Mulholland

Monday, October 10, 2016

Point of Departure: Le Train Bleu



One of the more interesting restaurants I've enjoyed over the years was located in Paris though the one I am thinking of was not any of those that 'auditioned' their specialties to my partner and me when we were preparing The French Chef, as delectable as they were.

It was at the Gare de Lyon where I found Le Train Bleu restaurant. Imagine a plush and ornate restaurant from the Belle Epoque looking as though it belonged in a world class hotel or chateau rather than a train station. It brought forth images from Agatha Christie's Murder on the Orient Express. Not only did I want to shoot in this amazing restaurant, I wanted to dine there as well. So, we did.

After enjoying our late lunch, I had the leading lady order a most sumptuous dessert as only the French can make and filmed her as she ate it slowly in character as I filmed.

Though unforeseen and unplanned, the scene in Le Train Bleu was pivotal to the film I was shooting, Point of Departure, as it was the heroine's rejection of the emotion that came over her as she sat alone at her table that drove her actions for the rest of the picture. Not only did I get a good scene for my movie, I had an excellent meal in the bargain--this thanks to my saying to my actors, "Wait here while I see what's upstairs."

No comments: