GTO 3987 on Mulholland

GTO 3987 on Mulholland

Wednesday, October 24, 2018

Ferrari GTO 3987 by Bernard Cahier


Over the years, I've seen a lot of photographs of my GTO in various circumstances--even a few of the photos I took survive after I found a stray Kodak Instamatic and sent the film it contained to be developed. The photos I had taken of 3987 up in the hills near the Griffith Park Observatory by a professional photographer were 'lost at sea' and his negatives were not saved by his surviving family after his passing, sadly.

One photograph captures a sense of 3987 better than any other--a combination of circumstance, lighting, angle and the intangible yet perceivable 'eye' of the photographer and I post it here. Sent to me by Paul-Henri Cahier, it was taken by his father, the legendary Bernard Cahier and is part of The Cahier Archive.

We see a detail that had previously escaped my attention--the mesh screens fitted into the D-shaped nose vents--which were long gone by the time I owned the car. Also, the leather belts to secure the hood/bonnet are still in situ as are the clear, plexiglass vents that were later replaced by red metal.

No comments: