GTO 3987 on Mulholland

GTO 3987 on Mulholland

Wednesday, February 5, 2020

Scuderia Serenissima


Yesterday, I received a copy of Scuderia Serenissima by Michael John Lazzari and Giovanni Faoro with a gracious inscription by the latter. I was alerted by my Instagram friend 
"giovannischembri" to expect it and had been eagerly awaiting its arrival. The Ferrari Breadvan occupied an important place in my life as it was owned by my friend and fellow Ferrari enthusiast Matthew Ettinger at the same time I owned my Ferrari GTO (s/n3987). 

I have driven the Breadvan, admired it on the road and it was even registered in my name for a time though I did not own it. What I own are many magnificent, personal memories of this unique and extraordinary Ferrari and what the Scuderia Serenissima book provides is the history and context of the racing team from which it sprang and what I think of as a golden era of auto racing.

There are lots of photos, in black and white as well as color, that give a sense of the Scuderia, the drivers, the cars and, of course, the patron, Giovanni Volpi. This is a wonderful book for those who experienced those times or wish they had.


No comments: