GTO 3987 on Mulholland

GTO 3987 on Mulholland

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

GTO photos from Chuck Queener




Chuck Queener was president of the Ferrari Owners Club in 1971 and had the pleasure--and privilege--of meeting Enzo Ferrari during a visit to the factory in Maranello. From reading my posts, one could get the impression that everyone who ever visited the factory in Maranello was given an audience with Il Drake but I assure you this was not the case as many high-powered people were denied an encounter and, though I won't mention any names here, you would be surprised to learn who they were. Chuck is well known for his incredible illustrations that have been featured in the best automotive publications.

Recently Chuck kindly sent me photos of GTO 3987. They are presented in this post and here are Chuck's notes:

"Number II (4.5”x3” print) has your name and 9810434 which I guess is/was your phone number at the time. I don’t know why I have it except it might have been for the FOC roster. The other two are Riverside after the GP with Zipper and the last one I took at a show in Orange Co. but I’m not really sure. It carries dealer plates and the guy in the hat might be Otto but I can’t remember that either."

CQ
http://queenerdesign.com/

I suspect that the third photo was taken while Otto still owned 3987 but before he sold it to William Reinhardt. It still carries dealer plates but has gone from Mecom colors to resale red. My thanks go to Chuck for passing along these photos.

1 comment:

Darren said...

I absolutely love the 3rd picture. Being a muscle car owner I can't help notice the Nickey crew trailer behind your car in the first picture. The Dan Blocker (Bonanza TV show) Nickey Vinegaroon was active in 65, I believe. Perhaps this is when that photo is from.